Seeking examples of Community gardens in Zoning Codes, Planning Documents, Ordinances,etc.

  • To: <community_garden@mallorn.com>
  • Subject: [cg] Seeking examples of Community gardens in Zoning Codes, Planning Documents, Ordinances,etc.
  • From: "Joe Mathers" <joem@cacscw.org>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:15:09 -0600

Presently, we have a multi-agency City staff/multi-non government and private citizen Committee that is looking at making comprehensive inclusions of community gardening into the fabric of the various codes, plans and ordinances.
The City of Madison Ad-Hoc Committee on Community Gardening is seeking examples of how community gardens have been incorporated into 1) Zoning Codes and Ordinances, and 2) official Land Use Plan and Policy documents.
Presently, community gardens are not a stand-alone "listed use" and are an accessory use to other uses. It is sometimes necessary to "stretch" existing definitions to accommodate community gardens within the regulatory framework.
Could you please reply by January 25 in case I need to follow up with you before our next Committee meeting.
Thank you in advance.
Additional contact info:
Joe Mathers
Community Action Coalition - Community Garden Coordinator
(608)246-4730 x212 ph
(608)246-4760  fax (in case you can't attach any documents)