Re: Flint & Dent corn

This is the way my daddy explained it:

Flint corn is hard and the top of the kernels are rounded. It includes
popcorns and most of the "Indian" corns. They can be ground into meal
and some pop very well. While all corn types may come in different
colors, flint corns have the greatest diversity, and many are grown for
decorative purposes.

Dent corn is usually has flat kernels, and each will have a dent on the
top. Most are starchy and not sweet, but some is eaten young as roasting
ears (try "Trucker's White"). It can be ground into meal, soaked and
added to soups, etc.  It is the common corn grown on millions of acres
for uses as animal feed, oil, and many industrial uses.

Wrinkled kernel corn has soft starch and a high sugar content. It is the
common sweet corn, which is best as fresh ears when still in the milk
stage. It can be ground to make excellent sweet flavorful cornmeal.
The classic as Golden Bantam, but there are many heirloom and hybrid
varieties.

There are many other types of corn.  Several year's ago we ordered
examples of all the corns we could find and grew them in an exhibit.
Most came from Southern Exposure and Native Seed Search.  All did well.
The categories (type of corn) and varieties we used were:
Dent:       Mayo Batchi, Mexican June
Gourdseed:  Texas Gourdseed
Flint:      Hopi Blue, Hispanic Pueblo Red
Flour:      Santo Domingo Blue, Texas Shoepeg (shoepeg is also a type),
            Jemez White
Pod corn:   Feather Mixed (each kernel has its own husk)
Popcorn:    Chapolote, Cochiti
Sweet:      Paiute, Yuman
These were all Native American heirlooms, and we selected to get the
greatest range of types and colors.
Don Lambert