Re: Can You Grow Corn in Small Spaces?

I've been growing corn very successfully in my 4' x 4' raised vegetable
beds for four years now. As others have noted, the secret is to either
hand-pollinate or plant in blocks (or spirals or clumps or what-have-you)
so the plants can readily pollinate themselves. I can grow 18 plants in
my 4' x 4' space, like so:

x   x   x   x
  x   x   x
x   x   x   x
  x   x   x
x   x   x   x

The only problems I've encountered so far are marauding raccoons. Corn
follows beans in my bed rotation scheme, but underplanting with bush
beans or even clover would also be a great way to address the nitrogen
needs. (I wouldn't use a climbing bean myself, for fear that the corn's
shallow root system couldn't support the weight, especially in a good
summer storm. I prefer to trellis runner beans on Russian Giant
sunflowers--those 6" diameter stalks could be used for bridge
construction!)

I like the idea of 'mound sowing'--I may try that next year!

Happy gardening dreams!
Jennifer Barricklow
North Haven CT