Re: Can You Grow Corn in Small Spaces?

In a message dated 1/11/01 8:27:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, libby@igc.org

> I find hex spacing really hard without a template, so I plant a row
>  and then plant the next row so that each seed is right between two of
>  the seeds in the first row.
>       x    x    x    x    x    x
>                  x    x    x    x    x    x
>           approximately
>  Libby

Great minds, or something... that's exactly what I do when I direct seed
bigger plots, and it works great. Actually, I space to that pattern with a
hoe when I thin rather than seed in that pattern. When I have room, I've have
good success with a version of the '3 sisters', half-runner or 'corn field'
beans (I got an heirloom variety from my aunt) with the corn and squash
family as a ground cover between 'blocks' of 3 rows of corn. I especially
like using winter squashes that you can harvest early as a summer squash (we
have borer problems with zukes and crooknecks).