Web-based, Searchable Catalogs for Plant Collections. . .

Hi, Folks!

I put up my wish for a web-based, searchable catalog for the plants (many of
which are rare or unique) at the community garden up on VolunteerMatch.org
last week and I got a programmer who really, really, REALLY want to take on
the challenge of  writing the code for such a project! (!!!!)

Here's the rub -- the church's website doesn't the space to host a
searchable, indexed site and buying a new site could be very expensive.
This is serious techie stuff and we don't have church members who can handle it.

However, I hate to let a good volunteer get away!  Is anyone on this
listserve (or do you know someone) who is planning to catalog their
collection such that we could pool hosting sites?  If this web designer is
as good as he looks (and he's willing to work for free!), the code that he
creates ought to be of great benefit to *ANYONE* planning such a catalog and
hosting several catalogs is not going to be much more difficult than hosting

Actually, if any historic gardens are planning to catalog their collections,
several of them could be hosted at a single site -- and the software would
be good for all of them. . .

Let me know what you think about all this, any contacts, etc. . .  This is
too good a project (and far too vital for biodiversity) to allow to fall by
the wayside.

Side note:  If you haven't signed up on VolunteerMatch.org, do so!  I'm
getting *great* results from my listings!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of