re: Web-based, Searchable Catalogs for Plant Collections. . .

Hi, folks!

CHECK OUT THE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS -- I JUST GOT A NEW ISP TODAY!!!!!!!!

Amy  wrote:
>I'm not sure I understand what kind of catalog this is.  What will be
>indexed?  What information will be available?  Please explain a little
>more.

The purpose of such a catalog is to create a database of the plants in a
particular garden.  Since I belong to Seed Savers Exchange, there are many
rare or unique plants in the perennial area of our community garden -- but
nothing is written down.  If anything happened to me, the collection would
be lost.

The catalog would be on the web so that folks could type in keywords and
search through the database to see what plants we have.  Each plant would
have its own page and include photos, history, uses, who donated the plant
and whether divisions/cuttings could be donated to other gardens.  The
purpose would be to share the collection (and the history and uses of the
plants) with others so that they could make use of the collection -- either
just the information on the plants, or by realizing that these are plants
they could be growing in their own gardens, to order or trade plants which
they don't have.

Heirloom plants aren't in wider use because folks don't know enough about
them -- or where they can get them.  By putting this information on the web,
we can share our plant knowledge with others and bring these useful plants
into wider use.

Of course, we could just list the plants, but in my community garden alone,
we have over 100 plants.  It's not very usable if folks can't search through
the database and find what they are looking for or just browse through
families.  If the plant information is going to be used, it has to be
user-friendly -- and that takes serious computer code and serious server
space. . .

Let me know if you have any more questions . . . I didn't expect to get a
volunteer so quickly and be jumping in it without more of introduction. . .

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of