RE: Use of treated lumber not recommended for vegetable

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Use of treated lumber not recommended for vegetable
  • From: Stephanie Hankerson <hank@usfamily.net>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 10:14:17 -0600

To add to the evidence that Greg L. posted, I am providing the link to the
actual first research done at the U of MN--reported this summer.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/YGLNews/YGLN-June0101.html#as

Also, at a Master Gardener Conference I attended this fall where the
primary researcher was presented these results, I learned that the mining
required for the ingredients needed to make CCA lumber is an issue.  So has
been the poor disposal methods that have historically been done with CCA
treated lumber.  Without going to my course  notes, I cannot post the
specifics, maybe someone else knows these details. If I can get to them, I
will repost. They were definitely NOT sustainable nor green practises and
really should be countered through reducing  the demand for this material.

Steph Hankerson
St. Paul, MN