locust posts

  • Subject: [cg] locust posts
  • From: "Hilary Kitasei" <hilary@kitasei.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:46:10 -0800

Greetings Adam and all gardeners,

Here's my greatest garden story for last year. (It's a long story, but it's
a long night..) We needed a fence for our woodland community garden Endor in
the Bronx. A landscaper named Anthony Bulfamante, who made the beautiful
locust fence for the New York Botanical Gardens azalea walk, offered to make
a similar one for us IF I got the locust posts BEFORE the leaves fell and
his crews would be swamped with work. (The great beauty of locust is that it
doesn't rot for 50 years. It's superior to cedar or pressure-treated wood.
It can be set in the ground without cement footings. That's why it's the
wood of choice for docks.) That set me off on a 4-county hunt to
fencemakers, landscapers, lumberyards and farmers for locust posts.  Anyway,
most of the above sources had no way of getting what I needed (60 six-foot
posts about 8 inches in diameter for the verticals for a 600-foot fence; we
would use norway maples for top pieces). The places that could get them said
it would take 3 weeks and cost around $19/post (same as cedar). Then the
forester from Wave Hill suggested I call DEC up in Albany County where the
managers of the Albany Pine Bush Barrens are trying to get rid of the
locusts that are taking over their 2800 acres. Sure enough, the manager,
Joel Hecht, offered to give them to us for free as a gesture of solidarity
from one nature preserve to another and in the spirit of 9/11. The great
guys from Council on the Environment helped with a truck, and our garden
designer Nancy Stedman and I drove up and got loaded up and Anthony built
the fence. So here's a very public thank you to all of them - and my chance
to share this intelligence about locust posts with all of you. Especially
you NYC commmunity gardeners and parks people -- forget about paying for
pressure treated wood! Locust comes in all sizes and can be as straight as
you need. You can use it to make fences, benches, raised beds, birdhouses.
If I can generate enough demand from all of you, we can arrange to get a lot
of it from Albany and store it somewhere here -- the Van Cortlandt Nursery??

I tried to send an attachment with photos but Mallorn rejected the file as
too long. You can see examples of locust fences at NYBG, the Shakespeare
Garden in Central Park, and of course Endor Community Garden in Riverdale.

If I have converted any of you to locust out there, let's talk about
arranging for a bulk delivery to a NYC location.

Hilary Kitasei