Garden paths

  • Subject: [cg] Garden paths
  • From: Physa@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:33:26 EST

At the Mary Thompson Senior Gardens-Southfield, Michigan, We use wood chips in the pathways between some of our gardens to inhibit weeds and to produce a path that is more stable under wet conditions.  They are ploughed under by our Fall rototilling and seem to work quite well.

Be aware that wood chips do require considerable nitrogen in their biological deterioration. Some are reluctant to use inorganic nitrogen sources to supplement this need and therefore this may not be a viable alternative. If this is case, cut strips of discarded rugs and carpeting may be a viable alternative.  The problem of varmints hiding under them along with problems of some being covered with soil and escaping the fall clean-up resulting in damage to the rototillers and lost labor time  has resulted in our prohibiting their use.  Wood planking is often a viable alternative, but has some of the disadvantages of vole, rats, mice, insect, etc.  hiding place and overlooked ones also are sources of equipment damage.
I hope that this has been of some help to you and others as well.

Elmer L. Morehouse -MS(Biology) -Advanced Master Gardener
Supervisor-Mary Thompson Senior Gardens-City of Southfield, Michigan