Railroad Gardening

  • Subject: [cg] Railroad Gardening
  • From: Ginger Ogilvie <cgarden@xmission.com>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:13:15 -0700

Hi all. What is this "thaw" that you are speaking of?? We've had
nothing but snow and ice. I just step outside to get my 'need to ski'
fix! Wish us all luck for the Olympics...

I am working with a senior center that is starting a garden along
(what used to be) defunct railroad tracks. A decision was made by
higher powers to revive the rail line. I am concerned about the effect
this will have on their gardening plans. The 140' x 35' space has a
fence and about 10' between it and the tracks. The seniors are excited
about using organic methods, and are particularly concerned about the
potential for industrial/chemical runoff from the tracks. Does anyone
out there have experience with trackside gardening? I remember
visiting a garden in Madison that started out that way, and now the
rails have become trails (this was the original plan for this space,
btw). I'd also appreciate it if anyone could share info on the
chemicals that are used to lubricate wheels and treat the tracks.

Also, if anyone is tracking contact information for Wasatch Community
Gardens, our street address has changed (po box and phone remain the
same). New address is: 345 East 400 South Suite 204 Salt Lake City, UT

Ginger Ogilvie
Wasatch Community Gardens
(801) 359-2658