Re: successful models or ideas

  • Subject: Re: [cg] successful models or ideas
  • From: "Sandy Pernitz" Sandy.Pernitz@ci.seattle.wa.us
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:12:27 -0800

Hey everyone,
Seattle's P-Patch Program gardens are ALL unlocked and accessible by
the larger community whenever they wish.  Most of our gardens are on
public land and we are a city program.  It is our way of dealing with
the "private use of public land" issues that can arise with community
gardens and government agencies and politics.  I do however agree that
each community is different that goes for gardens as well as cities so
you in ours would know best but it can go a long way to promote
community gardens as open space for the good of all in the community and
my personal philosophy is give it a try first you can always lock em up
later if you find it doesn't work in your community.

Thanks for your time,
Sandy Pernitz
Community Garden Coordinator
P-Patch Program/Dept. of Neighborhoods
700 3rd Ave, Suite 400
Seattle, WA  98101
206-684-0284
sandy.pernitz@seattle.gov
"An ancient Chinese philosopher once fell asleep and dreamed he was a
butterfly.  When he awoke, he was no longer certain that's what had
happened.  Perhaps he was just a butterfly dreaming he was a Chinese
philosopher..."
-Chinese parable

>>> Tamsin Salehian <tamsin@sparecreative.com> 01/10/03 01:40AM >>>
Hi Jennifer,

Open garden models are beautiful but we havenšt mastered the skills
yet
(although it sounds like many of the NY gardens have). Our garden is
open to
all whenever a plot holder is in the garden working. Also as our garden
is
on the side of  a community centre we have invited all centre users to
enjoy
the garden which they do for meal/coffee breaks, also the community
centre
part time staff member opens the garden up when shešs there, but the
garden
is closed whenever there is no key holder around. Experimenting with
taking
down fences has been good for some gardens but there are always the
Friday
night croud who every now and then come in and wreak havok often
destroying
individual plots - a community garden may be more robust than
individual
food plots?
If you discover a perfect model please let me know!!!

With raised garden beds I feel that soft edges are important! Vertical
bag
beds are great! Space under to wheel chairs is good so as to minimise
back
twist but these need to be clean so that wheeling your knees under
isnšt a
move towards spiders and other unknowns, tyre beds are good if you can
get
nice big tractor tyres (pile of tyres to appropriate height, fill with
compost nice deep bed, easy to take apart and rebuild, particularly
good
when painted in patterns/colours)...

All the best
Tamsin
Dig In Community Gardens
Melbourne Australia

On 10/1/03 9:33 AM, "JENNIFER LYNN" <jennifer.lynn@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am an environmental studies student in Santa Monica California
trying to
> create more effective community gardens.  Our gardens are currently
surrounded
> by chain-linked fence and locked to all but those who pay for plots
(who often
> times do not show up).  I would like to create a garden that is open
to the
> public so all can be inspired by the beauty and magic of growing food
and
> flowers.  I am also interested in creating a seniors garden with tall
beds
> that can be worked standing, from chairs or from wheel chairs.
Please put me