RE: (Public.Spaces) Community Garden Programs

  • Subject: [cg] RE: (Public.Spaces) Community Garden Programs
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:33:50 -0500

Ms Vaughen,

I have taken the liberty of forwarding your message to the American
Community Gardening Association listserve in order that community garden
organizations and coordinators in your area can contact you directly. FYI -
The American Community Gardening Association represents over 1000 community
garden groups in the US and Canada.

The ACGA wesite:
http://www.communitygarden.org

On our links page you will find web site and e-mail links to several
excellent community garden programs in your area ( there are even 4
Nashville links!)
 http://www.communitygarden.org/links/index.html.

You might start with The Atlanta Community Food Bank's community gardening
program, coordinated by Mr. Fred Conrad (fred.conrad@acfb.org);  the St
Louis, MO Gateway Greening Program, run by Ms. Gwenne Hayes-Stewart in St.
Louis  http://stlouis.missouri.org/gatewaygreening/ ; the Huntsville,
Alabama CASA community garden program organized by Mr. Jim Call
http://www.casagarden.com/ and the Little Rock, Arkansas AUGER program,
founded by Mr. Pratt Remmell,  which is associated with the Arkansas Hunger
Coalition - a stellar group of organizations which fights against hunger in
that state.
This year the 24th Annual ACGA Conference will be in Chicago, Illinois on
July 31 - August 3, 2003. But I believe that there are regional conferences
run by local agricultural extension. You may want to contact your local dept
of agriculture for leads in conferences in your or nearby states.

Great luck,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden, NYC
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org