Respect for Worms

  • Subject: [cg] Respect for Worms
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:16:38 -0500

From middle aged gardener guy's perspective, what's better than a NYC garden full of worms? While I'm at work, watching the Superbowl, sleeping, paying bills, at a concert, making dinner, on the subway, or engaging in myriad quotidian activities, these primeval little beasts are aerating and enriching the compost bins and soil of our garden in ways that are truly miraculous.
In the spring, when I clear off the some of the mulch from my raised bed and start to plant, the work that the worms have done and continue to do always amazes. When conscious gardener doesn't love a worm...and when they get a veggie or an apple, well that's because we didn't pick it fast enough.
If you continue to use compost, and intelligently and organically amend your soil, digging with care,  gently returning the worms you inadvertantly dig up to their home, you're in step with the universe and the natural order of things.
A story: President and gentleman farmer Franklin Delano Roosevelt understood this, profoundly.  He left instructions that he be buried  in a coffin with a missing side, in order that he be become one with his beloved rose garden all the sooner. The next time you get up to Hyde Park, look at the roses...they're filled with Roosevelt's essence - literally.
Blessed worms.
Happy weekend,
Adam Honigman