Re: Water run-off

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Water run-off
  • From: "Debby Williams" will1322@msu.edu
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:37:05 -0500

Leslie,

I have had to deal with excessive water run-off and found the best method
was to run an interception trench the length of the area the water is
running off, have the trench empty into a dry well (pit with stone) or you
can buy plastic receptacles at the big-box home stores (can't remember what
the receptacles are called).  Slope (grade) the trench 1" - 2" every 100'.
I wanted to only do this once so I did a little extra work - I used sand in
the bottom to set the grade, tamped it.  Then took black plastic perforated
pipe - also available at the big-box stores - wrapped it in landscape fabric
and set it in the bottom of the trench.  I then filled the trench with
gravel.  I used coarse stone but I understand pea gravel is best.  It worked
great.  Never had water problems again - until another set of construction
projects was done on the other side of our lot.  So you may wish to think
all aspects through before doing the drainage project.  I found the
instructions for the grade and dry well concept in home gardening books
under water - drainage.  I also had some casual conversations with a civil
engineer.  If you need to dig a really long trench (ours was 150') you can
rent a trencher or we actually found a minature steam shovel at a rent-all
place.  If you need more details, please feel free to ask.

Good luck - it's a miserable problem to deal with.

Debby Williams