asphalt runoff

  • Subject: [cg] asphalt runoff
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:07:12 -0500

The runoff is the same as water contaminated with motor oil.  There is no
sure cure except to prevent it in the first place.  Certain grass grows OK
near roads but right off hand I don't know which varieties.  Of course I do
remember that farmers were told to keep their grazing animals several feet
from the roadside grass with fencing.  The runoff causes the toxic chemicals
to migrate into your yards and fields.

Just a thought, we need a new kind of road covering that is either non toxic
or sealed so that the toxins do not leach.  This is why the next generation
of students need to learn "green" biochemistry and implement it when
rebuilding the infrastructure.  Eco-technology...

Sincerely,
Helen Steely
Harrisburg, Pa.