New Orleans Focus Group

  • Subject: [cg] New Orleans Focus Group
  • From: "Jef" billyjef@cox.net
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:49:57 -0600

Dear members,  I would like to invite anyone interested in the New Orleans area to a focus group we will be holding to explore local interest and elicit support for a low income, elderly and disabled community garden in the Algiers area of New Orleans.  Please see the invitation below for further details.
The Wild Iris Garden Club
3601 Texas Drive Apt. 217 B
New Orleans, LA  70114
(504) 364-0225
January 21, 2003
Subject: Focus Group

Dear Community Garden List:
The Wild Iris Garden Club (TWIG) is a newly formed garden club with a unique membership and goals.
At this time TWIG is composed of low income elderly and disabled individuals who desire to create an
organic garden that is barrier free and fully enabled so that anyone, regardless of physical or emotional
challenges, may participate in and enjoy.
It is our stated purpose for the community garden to foster a charitable outlook on life within our own
community, neighborhood and the community at large.  It is our intention that the community garden be a
self-sufficient and sustainable enterprise growing vegetables, herbs and cut flowers for local markets,
restaurants and florists.  The community garden will be a place of learning, healing, therapy and
beautification for the immediate community, as well as a place of education, training and rehabilitation for
local schools, 4-H groups, Scouts, and other individuals or groups that would benefit from such a garden.
At this time we are developing a focus group to determine the needs and support of the community.  We
would like for you or your representative to attend a focus group meeting scheduled for January 28, 2003
from 1:30-3:30 PM at the Algiers Regional Library, 3014 Holiday Drive.  The meeting will be hosted by
Louisiana Representative Melinda Schwegmann.  There will be presentations by Connie Shepherd,
Licensed Horticulturist; Lekoma Akate, Master Gardener; Landscape Architect and City Planner, Ginger
Fortson of the LSU AgCenter; Craig Wadsworth, Rehabilitation Engineer and Ed Barras of Louisiana
Rehabilitation Services.
Please RSVP to 364-0225 by January 22, 2003 (or just show up).
Wm. Jeffery Pratt