Re: Community garden nutrient inputs

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Community garden nutrient inputs
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" libby@igc.org
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:39:51 -0500

Hi Tamsin,

Our garden in South Philadelphia is fairly large, 70 gardeners or so, so we generate quite a lot of stuff for our compost piles.

However, we do get wood chips for our paths from arborists working in the neighborhood and from Fairmount Park. In due course, the chips rot so we can dig them into the garden plots too. Actually, the rotted chips in our "truck road" get too deep for trucks or even station wagons, and we have to call in the bobcats to push all the good stuff to the back of the garden next to the compost every three or four years.

That is not to say that individual plot holders don't add their own amendments. I, for one, am very fond of organic mushroom compost, phosphate rock and New Jersey greensand, but I only add them every 4 or 5 years.