Re: coffee grounds

  • Subject: [cg] Re: coffee grounds
  • From: "Sally Anne Sadler" sallyanne@bigzoo.net
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:15:39 -0800

Hi, another Seattleite chiming in....I personally take coffee grounds...and dump our own, straight into the compost bin or worm bin and occasionally garden beds.  Coffee grounds straight are  ~ 3% Nitrogen...which is pretty good.
The con: Coffee is acidic, and in our rainy climate, we already have acid soil.  So remember to lime your garden and test it every once in awhile for pH.
While I think John Jeavons has a lot of good ideas and think a closed system of gardening is ideal, using what would otherwise be tossed into the landfill is a good thing too.
While I buy organic, shade grown, coop, ohhhhhh soooo politically correct coffee from Cafe Mam,  (http://www.cafemam.com/ismam.html) I would be interested in finding out what kind of residue of pesticides in standard coffee grounds.  Starbucks, bless them, buys from small coops far more than they label.  I still don't buy there coffee, but I'll use their grounds!  If anyone has any studies specifically on coffee grounds and chemicals...pass it along!
Sally Anne
Seattle Gardener and bum