Starbuck's is a Giant... but...

  • Subject: [cg] Starbuck's is a Giant... but...
  • From: "Sally Anne Sadler" sallyanne@bigzoo.net
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:05:29 -0800

I thought their little organic shade-gown stock was all they bought, but
then asked one of the buyers here in Seattle and was told that they do not
buy coffee through the commodity market...which is Amazing, and they make
every effort to buy from small producers that have shade-grown practices.
Now, they only can advertise that coffee that is certified organic and
Again, I don't drink their coffee, since there is so many better coffee
shops in Seattle, but I do applaud their corporate citizenship in leading in
support small agriculture.  Albeit, imperfect.  One could argue one
shouldn't buy coffee at all, simply because of the great distance it
travels.  If someone could figure out how to grow good coffee in the Puget
Sound, that would be a coups!!  But that is another story.

Enough about coffee for now...