Re: Starbucks one more time

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Starbucks one more time
  • From: JSBMH2@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:05:56 EST

Friends,
I think Shelly meant to send this to the list, so here is her mail and my reply.  It occures to me that the sin free cast the first stone rule may apply here.
Peace,
John Herndon
Buffalo Rome Farm
Village Green Community Garden
Norman, Oklahoma

Hello,
This is interesting about the Starbucks program, as I'm looking for ways to get businesses to support community gardens, especially ones right in their neighborhood.   I'm about to ask a Rite-Aid store (drug store chain) to pay for a youth mowing a community garden for this summer.   Does anyone else have any examples of how businesses support community gardens? (PS--no Starbucks here in Toledo).

Thanks!
Shelly Collins
Toledo GROWs Manager
Toledo Botanical Garden

Shelly,
A surprising number of companies have charitable programs, whether based on guilt, true compassion or PR.   Home Depot and John Deere spring to mind. I don't have the links at hand but if you check out web sites and dig a little you'll find them.   Lots of celebrities as well, Tiger Woods has a funding mechanism for worthwhile projects involving kids.   Local companies often have employee generated funds.   I've found that if you just ask at the local corner store, explain your project, they are more than willing to help, donate a mower or seed packets or whatever.
Good luck with your project,
John