RE: Re: coffee grounds

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Re: coffee grounds
  • From: Pat_Elazar@cwb.ca
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:25:30 -0600

John & Adam I appreciate both of your remarks. We who live on the golden mountain have much to be thankful for.

We in the community gardening movement can all be a little smug & self satisfied when we compare our efforts to those who do less than we. We can all strive to do more to end injustice & save the planet. All of us.

John- I lived in the 3rd world & the conditions you describe as "corporate plantation life" sound pretty much like general rural life for those who are lucky enough to HAVE work about half of the time!

"John Verin" <jverin@Pennhort.org>
Sent by: community_garden-admin@mallorn.com

01/30/2003 02:53 PM

        To:        <community_garden@mallorn.com>

While I buy organic, shade grown, coop,  ohhhhhh soooo politically correct coffee from Cafe Mam,
I hope you are making this statement lightly. People who grow  and pick coffee for corporate plantation owners suffer, and suffer  bad. Pesticides can be sprayed by plane while the workers are in the  field, pay is pathetic, living conditions often unsound and unsanitary, no  health insurance, no benefits or other worker comp or  protection.
Take nothing for granted, ever, especially a cup of  coffee.
If this rubs any of you the wrong way, look deeper  within.