Re: Grant $$$ needed

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Grant $$$ needed
  • From: JSBMH2@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:44:32 EST

Hi Jason,

My friend Allen says every time you are applying for a grant you are saying we cannot do it ourselves.  It’s an empowerment thing.  Use it as a last resort.  Of course he is also very adept at getting grants.

I have a natural opposition to drip in a veggie garden.  I know it’s the’ best’ way to water, but after pulling it up and putting it back in sooo many times to till, or work in compost or clean up a bed- and planting around the drip emitters ….  Not my favorite way of watering.    If you are using biointensive gardening, it is virtually worthless.

I have seen home made drip systems in third world countries made with 5 gallon buckets hung on a pole with fittings and a water hose with holes in it attached to the bucket, that works pretty well.  You have to fill up the bucket, but there is very little cost involved.  No prefabricated systems too buy into and maintain.

Here at the Village Green CG we teach growing the soil with compost, mulching, and using proper watering skills.  One volunteer with a water hose schooled in good technique is a lot cheaper than underground plumbing and commercial drip systems.  That’s my two cents…

All the best,

John Herndon

Village Green Community Garden

Norman, Oklahoma