Re: Bronx community gardens
- Subject: Re: [cg] Bronx community gardens
- From: Adam36055@aol.com
- Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:07:23 EST
|Dear Mr./Ms. Bourne, |
The most glorious garden in Riverdale is "Wave Hill" Wave Hill . This garden is not a community garden but does utilize skilled volunteers like the Clinton Community Garden's Beekeeper, Mr. Sid Glazer Clinton Community Garden . If I lived close, I'd go there to get my hands dirty if there were any volunteer slots available under. This garden is a veritable jewel - one of the very best the US has to offer. And also, there are volunteer opportunities at the New York Botanical Garden (in the Bronx) . The community garden advisory group at the NY Botanical Garden is Bronx Green-Up, (718) 817-8026 offers workshops and some supplies. They should know of a community garden near you.
I would advise however, that the mindset that you should have is what you can give to a community garden, not what you want to gain from the experience. If your head is screwed on that way, you'll get what you need by giving, not thinking of taking. Take that as your paradgm for being involved in a community garden and you'll do well.
Here are some other grand places to look further:
1) Green Thumb - NYC Park's Community Gardening Office: Greenthumb
There will be a Green Thumb Grow Together at Hostos Community College this spring. Ask at the Green Thumb office.
2) The New York Restoration Project - Bette Middler's Foundation for Parks Preservation, Neighborhood Greening and Community Gardens: NY Restoration Project
3). The Trust for Public Land has helped to save many Bronx gardens - the work done at the Tremont Community Garden has been extraordiary. You may want to contact Jeanne Morse and Andy Stone at 666 Broadway New York, NY 10012 -(212) 677-7171;
FAX (212) 353-2052
4) Green Guerillas has worked with Bronx Community Gardens for decades, Green Guerillas
5) You have to contact The Council for the Environment Council for the Environment NYCwith ACGA garden heroes Gerard Lordahl ( president-elect ACGA) and master gadener and map maker Lenny Librizzi: NYPIRG CG Mapping Project
6) Gardener's Coalitions: Bronx United Gardeners (Bronx) (718) 670-3619;
Bronx Gardeners Coalition (South Bronx) (718) 292-7463; La Familia Verde (Bronx) (718) 367-1927
Clinton Community Garden