Re: The Amazing Portable Oklahoma Food Cooperative January 2004 Delivery Day

  • Subject: [cg] Re: The Amazing Portable Oklahoma Food Cooperative January 2004 Delivery Day
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 05:31:42 EST

Dear Bob,

I'm a Manhattanite (you know, that small offshore island that sends you all the bad TV, media messages and screws with your local economy with the machinations of Wall Street) who has taken a great interest in the Oklahoma Food Cooperative. John Herndon, who ran the Community Gardening dept of the Oklahoma City Food Bank is an old e-mail buddy, and introduced me to your extraordinary work.

My late wife and I have been community gardeners at the Clinton Community Garden ( Clinton Community Garden ) and neighborhood partners in our local Balsley Park Greenmarket, ( Click here: NYC Greenmarket)  two blocks from our home, a half block away from where they film all those CBS soap operas, "60 Minutes" and the "CBS Nightly News With Dan Rather."

This is to say that even in a densely populated place like Manhattan, news of what you're doing is deeply relevant to our lives and gives me, a person who lives on a city block with 3,500 other people, a great deal of hope for our country.  You see, driving outside of NYC, there has been a steady invasion of housing onto farmland, a process that removes this valuable farming land and a way of live from our countryside forever.  In fact, as you well know, so many people have lost their farms since the 1970s, the the US Census doesn't even have "farmer" as an occupation anymore.

A guy from Oklahoma who runs an organic health food store in your state queried the community gardening listserve fo  information to support his company selling local organic food.  For me it's a no brainer. Most food in the country is carried by fossil fueled diesel trucks out of cental hubs and travels between 1,500 - 2,000 miles from farm to retail market. A local farmer supports his family and travels 50 - 100 miles to market.

With global warming, the depletion of irreplacable energy reserves, and the destruction of family farms and a way of life that built this country in the balance, what local farmers markets and food cooperatives like the Oklahoma Food Cooperative are doing is crucial to all of our lives in this country, and ultimately to our survival on this planet.

Last summer, Dan Rather bought some flowers from the stand that my late wife was helping out with on West 57th Street.  He asked about the farmers market, which had been there  for about 15 years and was supporting family farms. Allegra asked him if he would put a story on farmer's markets on the CBS nightly news.  Rather shook his head, and said that news executives  were more interested in J Lo's fanny these days.

What you are doing in Oklahoma is vitally important to the future of America and we don't need television to tell us about it,

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden