Re: thesis research (Crystal Purifie-Taylor)

  • Subject: [cg] Re: thesis research (Crystal Purifie-Taylor)
  • From: Steve Smoot steveshome@juno.com
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 07:08:20 -0800

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:00:18 -0600 community_garden-admin@mallorn.com
writes:
> my recommendations will include neighborhood gardening, csa, and active
food policy councils. i am looking for input from listmembers about my
progress. . . .<

Crystal, why not a recommendation for farmers' markets? We have markets
in low-income neighborhoods of Washington State with produce sales from
one-quarter to one million $$ during a 6 month season. I've no doubt that
this is true elsewhere.

Also, those sales directly benefit local farmers who are otherwise going
into commodity crop production or out of business to the tune of 20%
every decade.

I appreciate your emphasis on the production of healthful fruits and
veggies. Those 2 food groups are the only ones we consume at below the
recommended number of daily servings. Ours is a population suffering the
consequence of that malnutrition and low-income families suffer the most.

Steve

Steve Smoot, Secretary
Spokane Farmers' Market Association
P.O. Box 7424