RE: Re: Cadmium and Recycled Tires

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Re: Cadmium and Recycled Tires
  • From: "Utah Gardens" UtahGardens@comcast.net
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:53:52 -0700

Please note that I am not saying they are right or wrong. I just know what I
have seen and given you the source. There are better ways of disposing of
used tires, I admit. But, I also know that most people still simply litter
the landfill with them 3 at a time. I would love to see some quantifying
data supporting the arguments for or against the use of tires. Does anybody
have any valid scientific research showing any leaching of petroleum into
soil? Or for that matter, any supporting that they do not. I can keep
looking here in SL and Mike if you have anything showing the other side, I
would definitely love to see it. But I am looking for proven studies either
way.

As for me, I am not going to use tires for raised beds. But that is more for
the appearance and practicality of the rigidity of them. But, I want to know
the facts about their effects on the soil before I tell others that they do
or not make for appropriate planters in their own garden. The planters I
have seen have been fairly attractive. I wouldn't put a wall full of them at
my house, but I don't mind displaying one to show an alternative form of
container planting. Again, if somebody showed me some data saying they are
harmful, I'll buy in.

Shane in S.L.