Gardening With Toxic Waste & A Request

  • Subject: [cg] Gardening With Toxic Waste & A Request
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:15:45 EST

Friends,

I love this list. We get certain perpetual questions from nice people who
sorta think that what they want to do/have done in the garden may be
dangerous/not-best-practice/"iffy", but they want someone on the list to validate it.

And then we all write all of these impassioned e-mails about how gardening
with dog and cat feces, used tires, depleted uranium artillery shells or a
variety of Miracle Grow isn't really the best thing to do.

While these, "Please don't run with scissors, Johnny," messages are
necessary, I do do wish gardeners on this list would WRITE MORE about the community
gardens in their areas/

Trust me, all of us want to hear about what you've learned over the last
year, the problems and issues you've  dealt with, your plantings, what your
gardeners and community is like, who you've fed from your garden, and what it's like
gardening in, let's say, Hot Coffee, Missisippi ( a real place, by the way)
and the cycles of the years, and how the sky looks overhead, and how the warm
earth feels under one's bare feet.

Yes, we do have to tell Johnny not to run with scissors - that is part of
this listserv's mission, but we also have to share our experiences, to talk over
the many garden fences during this winter season - to help all of us thinking
green and warm during this winter time - at the very least, a good thing to
read amidst the bad news from abroad and the 40 million dollar victory lap of
the January 20th re-Inauguration.

Everbest,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,