Re: Gardening With Toxic Waste & A Request

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Gardening With Toxic Waste & A Request
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 06:54:05 -0800 (PST)

Right on, Adam!

My rush of the week was dropping by the garden we got
started this year behind a Senior Center for
immigrants. I've been too blamed busy to get over
there for several weeks, and I was afraid it would
look pretty dreadful. Amazing! Looked great! They put
in some fall crops, on their own (the Chinese
gardeners), and the Latino and Russian groups now want
to expand to make more room for them. And the garden,
it turns out, is a key stop on the fundraiser circuit
(this is also true of the garden at the homeless

Meanwhile, it's been warm and pleasant, cabbages are
still growing strong even if everything is moving
slow. Just wait - I know that ice storm is coming...

Oh, another good low-tech idea. Cereal rye is working
out very nicely as an attractive easy cover crop.
Looks a lot better in the gardens that bare dirt
punctuated by chickweed. It doesn't _look_ like
incorporation will be a problem . We'll see in the
next couple months.

Don B, Charlotte NC