Re: Cadmium and recycles tires

  • Subject: [cg] Re: [cg]Cadmium and recycles tires
  • From: Lekoma Akate lekoma216@cox.net
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:10:50 -0600

> I too have questioned the toxicity. I think the question is whether or not
> plants take up toxic compounds from tires, and whether or not they
> metabolize toxic compounds. I've read that sometimes plants can "purify"
> toxic conditions in the soil, which I assume to mean that toxic compounds
> are broken down into non-toxic elements and compounds by plant metabolism.

If you want to assist soil microbes process toxins, add beer.  It has been
shown that beer added to soil at superfund sites reduces the soil toxins
pretty quickly.  You only need to use the cheapest beer you can find, and
freshness is not an issue.  The research was done with out-of-date domestic
lite beer.  This can help with sites that might have high lead or zinc
levels that are often found in urban areas.  Also, mustard greens are used
to absorb toxins from contaminated soil.  Just don9t eat or compost the
greens grown in those areas, dispose of properly.

If your soil is questionable, get a toxic element test from the local
extension service.

Peace,
Lekoma Akate
New Orleans