Our garden is thriving!

  • Subject: [cg] Our garden is thriving!
  • From: "Fran Fassman" fassman@nova.edu
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:06:17 -0500

I have to admit I read with great amusement Adam's post regarding Johnny and
the (symbolic) scissors warning. After reading many posts about tires (which
we previously rejected for our garden, FYI), I decided to take a moment and
share with you that we are in full bloom here at the CNAP Community Garden
in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

First, let me say that by training I am a Clinical Psychologist, and the
last time I grew anything was in 5th grade, when my neighbor Pat and I threw
a potato in the ground and watched its progress (yes, it produced small
potatoes). Though I live in a natural climate of lush, lazy growing seasons,
it took a big risk in job change to end up helping create 30 beds of
vegetables, a Community Garden Board, and a committee of representatives
from organizations around this county who are planning to build vegetable
beds to combat hunger.

Today at lunch I sat under a tree in the garden and marveled at the head of
the sun flower, which was in fact turned towards the sun in the southwestern
sky. I watched that flower being planted from seed and crowed three days
later when it had already broken earth. Today it is as tall and beautiful as
any which grace the fields of Southern Spain.

What I have learned in just a few months from the garden has taken me down
such a diverse path from what I learned in the past 20 years as a
psychologist; no matter how often I renewed my humanistic pledge that all
people have the capacity for empowerment, that pledge was constantly
challenged by witnessing so much emotional suffering. In this garden,
however, I witness a constant celebration of growth, community and renewal.

When we were first preparing the ground for this project, I was inspired by
reading about Anna up there in Minnesota, and the wondrous work she has
facilitated. Today, I am happy to be following her path, albeit modestly.

Please come see a bit of our progress at http://shss.nova.edu/CNAP and click
to view our photo album.

Happy 2005.

Fran