Re: Applying what one has learned

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Applying what one has learned
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:22:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Doreen and all,

Your note about the 'beer baptism' reminds me of life
in my Ewe village in Togo, where the custom is to
always pour a little libation of whatever you're
drinking on the ground 'for the ancestors'. They are
always thirsty in the spirit world, it seems - and a
bit jealous. So, that beer not only encouraged
microbes, it showed honor to all who have gardened
before us. A whole six pack! Wow! The Deads will have
a party!

(Doreen, you're our resident book reviewer - you know
Amos Tutuola's stories?)

Just another example, as I never 'tire' of telling
folks, of how Peace Corps helped 'develop' me much
more than I helped develop the Ewe people or the
nation of Togo.

Cheers - it is 60-plus degrees outside, what the heck,
I'm going to plant some garlic today (don't know what
the ancestors think of that, so maybe I'll pour 'em a
little drink, too).

Don B, Charlotte NC