Off Topic: Not One Damn Dime Day

  • Subject: [cg] Off Topic: Not One Damn Dime Day
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:12:04 EST

I figure I'm OK for one horiffically off-topic e-mail a year, seeing all the
content filled, relevant communications I produce for this list on a pro-bono
basis over the course of a year.  Please accept my apologies in advance if
this  content, message, or "irrelevance," appalls anyone.  I'm just a trifle
outraged at the 40 million dollar cost of the inaugural celebrations in the face
of the Tsunami, the general misery in this country and the hungry people I've
been feeding through my soup-kitchen work over the last 25 years.

Have any of you heard about this?
I don't know what protesting the war can do at this point, but just
protesting the inauguration of Bush would be satisfying, and any argument to stop
buying stuff gets my vote.

Subject: "Not One Damn Dime Day" - Jan 20, 2005 - Inauguration Day

  Help Make a Difference...

  Please mark your calendars now...

  Since our religious leaders will not speak out against the war in Iraq,
  since our political leaders don't have the moral courage to oppose it,
  Inauguration Day, Thursday, January 20th, 2005 is "Not One Damn Dime Day"
in America.
  On "Not One Damn Dime Day" those who oppose what is happening in our name
  in Iraq can speak up with a 24-hour national boycott of all forms of

  During "Not One Damn Dime Day" please don't spend money. Not one damn dime
  for gasoline. Not one damn dime for necessities or for impulse

 Not one damn dime for anything -  for 24 hours.

  On "Not One Damn Dime Day," please boycott Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target...

  Please don't go to the mall or the local convenience store. Please
  don't buy any fast food (or any groceries at all for that matter).

  For 24 hours, please do what you can to shut the retail economy down.
  The object is simple. Remind the people in power that the war in Iraq is
  immoral and illegal; that they are responsible for starting it and that it
  is their responsibility to stop it.

  "Not One Damn Dime Day" is to remind them, too, that they work for the
  people of the United States of America, not for the international
  and K Street lobbyists who represent the corporations and funnel cash into
  American politics.

  "Not One Damn Dime Day" is about supporting the troops. The politicians
  put the troops in harm's way. Now 1,200 brave young Americans and (some
  estimate) 100,000 Iraqis have died. The politicians owe our troops a plan -
a way to
  come home.

  There's no rally to attend. No marching to do. No left or right wing
  agenda to rant about.

On "Not One Damn Dime Day" you take action by doing nothing.

  You open your mouth by keeping your wallet closed. For 24 hours, nothing
  spent, not one damn dime, to remind our religious leaders and our
  of their moral responsibility to end the war in Iraq and give America back
to the people.

  Please share this e-mail with as many people as possible.

Adam Honigman