Re: garden dispute

  • Subject: Re: [cg] garden dispute
  • From: "Doreen Oboyski" DOboyski@Newhavenct.net
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:57:42 -0500

If this gardener feels that he should be compensated or have the tree
replaced I would question his motives as a "Community Gardener".
I think if he persists in this thinking he should be asked to leave the
garden.
The 10 year life of the pear tree was maintained because the community
garden provided  the space, water, nutrients in the (community garden's)
soil and the undisturbed (for 10 years anyway) habitat for the tree to
thrive.
How can this gardener claim that he/she should be paid for the tree if
it was cut down to install a fence for the good of the garden?

>>> "Sally McCabe" <SMcCabe@Pennhort.org> 1/9/2005 9:22:41 PM >>>
I'm in need of some advice.

One of our gardens recently installed a new fence after housing
construction
next door did in the old one.  During the installment of the fence, one
of a
gardener's fruit trees trees got cut down.  Apparently this was a rare
French pear tree - Passe Corassane.  It was 10 years old, and he is
requesting
to be compensated $500.  The garden has no money in their kitty because
of the
new fence.

Is the garden responsible for replacing the tree, or for making
compensation
for something planted in an individual plot?

How should we handle this situation? In 25 years of community garden,
it's
always been somebody ELSE who was the bad guy!

Sally McCabe, Philadelphia

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which
had a name of winmail.dat]