Re: Incorporating is Good for You.

    Totally agree with Adam. We are Bissel Gardens started as a CLEAN UP project in 1993 and we are a 501(c) 3, NYS registered Charity, and NYS sales tax exempt.  Some rule books are good to follow: God's, Mother Nature's and the IRS's.  Being incorporated is just good business.
    We are operating on city land with a letter agreement to a city agency. IN NYC the big boys play hard-ball, not all government agencies like open green spaces. In the world of community gardens 501 makes you a player with the big boys.  Sometimes 501 is more valuable to your continued existence than size, volunteers, money, and good intension s.  Recommend you talk to your closest TPL (Trust For Public Land or one of your Federal Elected Officials about help in becoming a incorporated 501(c) 3 organization. Its easier than you think.
                                            Good Luck, Russ