(good luck, Adam!) and compassion, the quilt and the plan

  • Subject: [cg] (good luck, Adam!) and compassion, the quilt and the plan
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:41:21 -0800 (PST)

Good luck, Adam, on Mike McG's show. I can't wait to
hear it - watch out, Ketzel Levine and Ray and Paul,
here come 'The Plant Guys'.

On the pear debate, I'm grateful to see it, since this
is the kind of thing we all face in our gardens at
some point, and it _really_ helps me to see other
people's perspectives.

For my part, I'm with Judy, Doreen, Shane and others
who think the best idea is to work compassionately
with the gardener, not make his/her attitude a litmus
test for whether or not they 'belong' in a community
garden (where they've evidently been gardening for a

For one thing, there's the Golden Rule.

And, practically, you want the garden to recover from
this quickly. Chopping the gardener is like chopping
the tree - another unnecessary loss. Being decent and
sympathetic, trying to work something out, only makes
sense. S/he is understandably unhappy - I would be,

Seems to me our gardens are like patchwork quilts.
Both the patches - all the individual gardeners and
kids and families and plantings - and the threads -
our rules and agreements and arrangements - need to be
strong for the quilt to hold together. All patches,
and things fall apart. All threads, and we get all
tangled up and can even garrote ourselves.

Extending the analogy, gardens often look like quilts.
It really does make sense to me to create areas for
specific plants, especially fruit trees and natural
habitats, that take up space and need to stick around
awhile in the landscape. For this, sensible garden
plans (of the physical on-the-ground type) are

Don B. Charlotte NC