Re: [tb-cybergardens]: It ain't over...

  • Subject: [cg] Re: [tb-cybergardens]: It ain't over...
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:24:22 EST

Mark,

I'm so glad Laura spoke up on this - her turtle pond in Liz Christy is so
glorious! This lady has so much common sense (along with a few other unmentioned
folks from Liz Christy who won't drink the chicken-little "Kool aid") that
she, along with the ghost of Ms. Liz herself  are largely the reason that I've
been rattling a few of the cages on this listserve, and in quietly with those
officials who can make a difference, for  this tiny, sweet, community garden.

Anyway, the  last offer from Avalon that I shared with you all is a good one.
And it's true, Mark, I don't have a live dog in the fight - I was a Liz
Christy Gardener in only the very earliest years.

Except that the Liz Christy Garden is too important to lose, and the process
of gardener/neigbhor - developer negotiation too important to undermine for
all the rest of our community garden community in the City of New York.

And that's largely for people of color who eat from their gardens.  In places
like the Bronx, so far above 14th Street, it might as well be Tibet.

We live in a real world city, Mark again - and believe me, the whole real
estate community and our city government (sometimes, it seems one and the same
entity)  is looking to see if gardeners can really sit down and deal like
rational adults- instead of having conniptions in the face of change.

And this is NYC - and change is our only constant. This is the town of the
"rotating elbow," as Jimmy Breslin said, and we have to make sure those elbows
don't rotate community gardens out.

We really shouldn't set the precedent to these guys that a reasonable offer
like this one was pissed on.

I have NEVER seen a developer bend over backwards like this, and we did some
doozies of garden preservation deals in Clinton, where there will be no
net-foot community garden loss when the dominoes come in alignment.

Again - real world: From the developer's perspective, it's much easier to for
the cops to cut our "chained to the gates," activist bodies off the
wire-linked and bulldoze than negotiating with folks who care about trees, gardens and
turtle ponds. It's much cheaper paying a fine, because to these boys, time IS
money.  And at the end of the day, we want our gardens too.

And once this drama is over, from our experience in Hell's Kitchen and the
block through West Side Community garden on the upper west side, there will be
plenty of the "new people," to help maintain our green spaces as well.  Let's
not be such "snobs," about the new people, whomever they are.

In solidarity,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/