RE: City sponsored community gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] City sponsored community gardens
  • From: "Dawson, Teva L." TLDawson@dmgov.org
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:06:26 -0600

I run the community garden program for the Des Moines Park and Recreation here in Iowa.  Check out our program at www.dmparks.org.  I think community garden programs situated in a Park and Rec. department makes lots of sense - we have heavy equipment to assist in the development of gardens, we already host public "recreation" opportunities, and we have the land.  Our program has helped the department reach a greater diversity of folks in the community.

teva

Teva Dawson
Community Garden Coordinator
Des Moines Parks Department
3226 University Avenue
Des Moines IA  50311
Phone:  515/323-8907
Fax:  515/237-1407
www.dmparks.org
Des Moines Community Gardening Coalition is a program of the Des Moines Parks Department, that supports grass-roots community greening projects by working with community-based organizations such as schools, low-income housing providers and neighborhood associations giving them the training and resources necessary to build sustainable community greening projects that educate people, beautify communities, increase food security, improve nutritional health, and build relationships among people.