Re: Who supports urban community gardens programs?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Who supports urban community gardens programs?
  • From: FLYER166@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:57:53 EST

In a message dated 1/14/05 4:11:49 PM, PKLESLIE@ci.portland.or.us writes:

> Could you take a moment and tell me (and others):
>
> 1. What are your primary sponsor (funding, both dollars and in-kind)?
> Grass Roots fundraising, A yearly Benefit, A yearly neighborhool pledge
drive, different grants from corporate sponsors, city council, con Edison, etc.

> 2. What percentage of your budget is funded by municpal, membership,
> corporate or business, federal or state funding?

None by municipal, federal or state...

> 3. What is the current trend in funding for community gardens programs
> I would think grants

We are not primarily a garden for the production of food, although there are
90 members who have individual tiny (4ftx3 foot)   plots that can grow a few
tomatoes, some greens and herbs, etc)   We are pprimarily famous for our
ornamental gardens, particularly tulip time.....and for the fact that we are
(although a private non for profit organization) open to the public during the day,
every day when the weather is clement.   We are particularly friendly to small
children and the elderly.

Jude Rohn
 WESTSIDE COMMUNITY GARDEN NEW YORK CITY