Requests for examples of policy/long term leases and agreementswith Cities

  • Subject: [cg] Requests for examples of policy/long term leases and agreementswith Cities
  • From: Kathryn MacKenzie kathryn.mackenzie@gmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:33:11 -0600

Hello Fellow Gardeners!
We are faced with a quick deadline on a new City of Winnipeg Community
Garden Policy. The City wants it written by the end of January.
The City is hosting some of its own consultations but a group of gardeners
and community people are also hosting an information and
consultation/networking meeting Jan. 10th. We are interested in setting up a
Community Gardening Network for the City. We want a one-stop shop for garden
info, sharing of resources, information etc.
*My request is for examples of land tenure agreements, long term leases etc?
from other community organizers and gardeners who can tell us what has
worked for them.

*As well, examples of policies and pitfalls that others may have encountered
would be helpful.
  Canadian content may be more appropriate but the strong examples of
community organizing and battles in the US for gardens are inspirational. I
hope that we can learn from what other communities have experienced.

* The City is also looking at By-Law reviews this month-(any help for that
one too?)
 .---Successful and unsuccessful examples are all welcome! (hopefully before
the 10th!)

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to consider this.

Kathryn MacKenzie
Greening Coordinator
Spence Neighborhood Association
430 Langside Street