Canada Leads the Way - They Still Have the Baby Bonus?

  • Subject: [cg] Canada Leads the Way - They Still Have the Baby Bonus?
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:13:02 -0500

This friends is the Green Party Policy on eradicating hunger for children

From the Dundas Star, Dundas Ontario

(Jan 13, 2006)
Since at least 1989, the federal government has vowed to erase child poverty. No meaningful action has been taken and today, about one out of six children and their families still live in poverty.
The Green Party will create a comprehensive anti-poverty strategy which will ensure better wage standards, increase EI benefit levels, expand child tax credits and early childhood education as well as remove the GST from books and educational supplies. We would also support provinces that adopt a basic income strategy that ensures every Canadian family is able to meet the necessities of life.
Green MPs would also fund a national housing program to build energy-efficient co-ops and affordable housing units and ensure that the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation is reoriented to provide credit and loan guarantees to non-profit housing organizations and co-ops for low income people with a diverse set of requirements.
We would also subsidize private developers to include affordable housing in their developments to increase social inclusion.
Our party's emphasis on health maintenance and illness prevention as well as our commitment to public transit and nutritious, affordable food through foodshare and community gardening programs will help lower income families get the assistance they need to maintain an equitable standard of living. These and over 200 other policies can be found in our 2006 Election Platform at www.greenparty.ca.