Re: Question of Usage

This is a tough one since virtually every community garden experiences a different usage pattern, even ones a few steps away from another.

Your garden design will dictate occupancy and usage more than anything else. If you build a large community area with benches and tables and plan to hold events in the garden you can expect a number of people, especially during the events. How large depends on your assessment of your community. If the majority of the garden is raised beds, you can figure that the garden will be more of a stroll and you will not have a large number of people at any one time.

The 6th Street and Avenue B Garden in New York is about 60% raised beds and the rest open community areas, a children's play area and an event stage. We have a number of benches and other sitting areas. Over the years we have found that we get about the same amount of people for events (average 50) but the past few years we have more casual visitors who like to sit and spend the afternoon. Open the gates on a modestly warm day and people come in. 10 years ago the same warm day might bring only a few people the whole day. This is due to the changing character of our neighborhood. Our garden is right on a main street and lots of people walk by all the time. We have a reasonably large space for New York and I'll venture that the most we've had in the garden is about 200 people and this was very unusual and very crowded. You have to see how visible and accessible your garden is to the public, this will dramatically effect how many people show up. Hours of operation should be factored into your plan.

William Hohauser
President
6th Street and Avenue B Garden
New York, NY