Re: Question of Usage - Now the Real Work Begins.

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Question of Usage - Now the Real Work Begins.
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:19:22 -0500

Good - you did the work.  From the attached, you've done pretty impressive pre-opening set up, and I really hope the 87 folks you have signed up are ready to get working.
In all honesty, from your missive, there was no way I or any other reader coming to your project cold,  could have figured out that you had done the work. Good on you.
However, for the simple 87 plot equation, there are still questions -
 How large is your plot size?  Is it 10 x 10 or 20 x 20?
Doing some "old math" calculations - You have to figure your maximum usage on a worst case busiest day, maybe planting, spring or fall clean up. Ususally folks show up on a staggered schedule but on thinking worst case, they're lined up at 8 AM on a Saturday, ready to get to work.
Eighty Seven Plots -
so you have one or two gardeners working on each plot with maybe a quarter of them with kids running around.
So Mom/Dad - or two significant others gardening - that's 87 x 2= 170.
For kids. figure that 24 plots may have a child attached to them, though that may be high - so say 194.
Add maybe 6 -20    visitors, walker's through, somebody working on the compost, some rare orderly
 person putting the tools in order in the tool shed - and I'm figuring on 200 - maybe 225 as a top capacity.
Again, we don't know if you've planned a lawn -a place for people to hang out, which could add another 50 people having coffee, sunbathing, "supervising".
So you're looking at 275 people in a community garden at the same time. .
Now, if you decide to have a 4th of July Barbecue and you've invited neighbors to come by to eat, socialize, etc, or have the space for a small concert, that number could expand considerably.
During a Septemeber 2001 concert that the Clinton Community Garden held to raise money for the families who had died on 9/11, we had over 500 people show up in the front half of our third of an acre garden.
So again, you have to look at other parks in your area, figure out the heaviest usage you're going to have, make your number conform to the local parks, and open green spaces, and get your certificate from your local City Hall's pencil necks.
And offer the firemen a plot in the garden - they have ladders, hoses and stuff - and are great to have around for barbecues and as advocates for your garden, especially when that 5 year time rolls around.
Good luck!
Adam Honigman