Information on starting a community garden

How do you go about starting a community garden?  In my subdivision in
Springfield there are several empty lots which do a good job of growing
weeds.  I would like to look into getting the owners of those lots to donate
there land (until they build on them that is,) to a community gardening
effort.  Does your organization know of anyone who has done this sucessfully?

What is needed, in terms of hardware, time commitments, etc. . . to get a
garden going?  Does your organization have an information packet for starting
a community garden?  Thank you for your time and consideration.