Budgets for Community Gardens

I am battling the "chicken/egg problem and wonder if there is any help out there... I am drafting a proposal to fund community garden start-ups and the proposal requires a budget. The problem arises in that I don't know what I am budgeting for until we get the funding and identify the land. Does anyone have budgets of general costs, for example, a cubic foot of topsoil or a foot of installed irrigation piping?
Thanks so much!
Erin Budde
Mayor's Beautification Program
Community Planting Coordinator