RE: Eagle Scout Project

Wow Ryan!

You have chosen a huge project to embark upon. I won't discourage you from
it because I know how hardworking and responsible 16 year olds can be  (my
16 year old is working two full time jobs this summer to help with future
college expenses . It can be a daunting, though rewarding experience.
Community gardening is more than gardening: it requires the democratic
organization and governance of a shared public space for the benefit of the
surrounding community as well. It means getting support from neighbors as
well as the people who are gardening.

Please check out the archives at this listserve:
http://community_garden@mallorn.com
this will give you an idea of how grown-ups can have very different ideas on
how to organize community gardens.

Here are the websites of two older community gardens which may be helpful to
you:

The Eagle Heights Community Garden: http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ehgarden/

The Clinton Community Garden ( where I volunteer in NYC)
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org

The American Community Gardening Association has links to California gardens
that may be helpful to you: http://www.communitygarden.org/

Good luck! Let us know how it all works out for you.

Adam