Red pepper spray

Here's an effective pepper spray. This is the concentrated form that needs
to be diluted before use. Needless to say, watch out for your eyes when
preparing and using this and always be careful of beneficial insects when
using any insecticide, whether organic or chemical (why would you want to
use a chemical insecticide anyway?).

Laura Berman

Red Pepper Spray Concentrate:

1 unpeeled onion
1 unpeeled head of garlic
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
3 pints water

1.    Chop onion and garlic and combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
Simmer 20 minutes.
2.    Cool and strain
3.   Store in jars in the refrigerator--lasts up to 6 weeks.
4. **To use, dilute 1 tablespoons of concentrate with 1 pint of water. Add a
little Ivory snow.

Red pepper spray is a good general insect spray and is effective against
caterpillars.

=====================================
Laura Berman
Community Garden Programme Coordinator
FoodShare Toronto
238 Queen St. West
Toronto, Ontario M5V 1Z7
Phone:   (416) 392-1668
Fax:        (416) 392-6650
email: laura@foodshare.net
            cgnetwork@foodshare.net
web:    www.foodshare.net

>From: Chuck Mattix <kasmat@midusa.net>
>Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 06:49:08 -0700
>To: community_garden@mallorn.com
>Subject: [cg] Re: Hot Pepper spray

>I've been hearing a couple of people talk about Hot Pepper spray.
>We need something in our garden to keep the grasshoppers from eating the
>tomatoes.
>Do you buy Hot Pepper spray,  or can you cook up a batch on you rown?
>What is it made from?

.Any help would be appreciated.    Thanks.

.kasmat@midusa.net