Re: mosquitos in water barrels

Hi, John (and everyone else!)

>We are looking for ways to control mosquitos in water barrels, with a
>preference for organic/non-toxic ways.

Well, the Bt "Isrealsis' (sp) dunks do work -- I found a few and have been
using them around the garden.  They don't harm anything else but the larvare.

I've also heard that one can stock a water barrel with mosquito fish
(Gambusia?) becasue they don't need a lot of oxygen.  (Personally, I really
like this option for you because when I get my pond installed in my
backyard, you can give me some extra fish! ;-))

>I have heard of putting vegetable oil on the surface of the water. Has
>anyone tried this? What's a recommended volume of oil?

This was mentioned in an article in the Philaelphia Inquirer about the
Yellow Fever epidemic in the 18th century -- the only doctor who had a clue
(can't remember his name, but he became famous later) suggested this remedy
to get rid of the mosquitos.  Of course, HE suggested that standard measure
of the 18th century ("a wineglass full")  I think the important thing is to
cover the surface of the water barrel.  Start with 1/2 cup and see if you
see any gaps.

Don't use the good olive oil for this one! ;-)

Anyone else with other suggestions?  Personally, I want bats, but I also
want a bat house that *works* and isn't decoratative. . .

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of