Re: ratios of green to developed space

  • Subject: Re: [cg] ratios of green to developed space
  • From: Lenny Librizzi <plantlot@rcn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:54:08 -0400

As usual everyone has a different interpretation on what is green space. New York City's Department of City Planning
recommends 2.5 acres of open space per 1000 residents. This is only a suggestion. There is no mandated amount of
open space. Open space can include asphalted play areas with little or no green.  Many communities meet the standard
but the ones that do not are primarily low income communities of color. We created an open space mapping project that
is available on the web for people to research this kind of data. www.oasisnyc.net
Somewhere I have a figure for canopy cover which I can't put my finger on at the moment, which I think is somewhere
in the 50% range for NYC, though I am sure there is no standard.
Lenny Librizzi