RE: ratios of green to developed space

  • Subject: RE: [cg] ratios of green to developed space
  • From: Hal Gausman <HGausman@ci.everett.wa.us>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:01:56 -0700

The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) has developed standards
for open space that are based on population and walking distance. I was a
park planner for the City of Eugene, Oregon. At Eugene they had adopted the
National Standards as a planning goal and also a very strong Urban Forest
protection plan. I also worked for Willamalane Park District in Springfield,
Oregon. Springfield has also references the National Standards as a planning
goal. The State of Oregon also provides the cities with standards (the
SCORP) that are very similar to the National Standards. You may want to also
look at the book by Galen Cranz "The Politics of Park Design", specifically
the City Beautiful and park reform periods around 1900- 1930 for background
information. The World Health Organization has also developed goals for open
space as part of the Healthy Cities movement. I would recommend contacting
the NRPA for a list of cities that have adopted the standards and have
language in their development ordinances. Good Luck
Hal Gausman, Landscape Architect
Development and Construction Supervisor
Everett Parks Department
Everett, Washington