Re: ratios of green to developed space

  • Subject: Re: [cg] ratios of green to developed space
  • From: Sally McCabe <sallymcc@libertynet.org>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:16:15 -0400

Philadelphia, the original "Greene Countrie Towne," was founded under
William Penn's Charter that required one acre of green space for every four
acres of development, which makes for a very pretty city.

It lasted for many years, until developers found a loophole and annexed the
surrounding farmland into the city limits. When you bought a parcel
downtown you got a corresponding chunk of open space out in the
hinterlands. We've been fighting to get the original regulations back ever

Sally McCabe
Philadelphia Green